Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sephora Haul! 02.05.2013

Posted by Nani at 8:33 PM

Hello Friends,

As you will soon learn, I have an addiction. I can't go into Sephora without spending money. When I say addiction, I'm not kidding. The employees literally know me by name.

Anyway, I went into Sephora in need of foundation the other day, and came out with ten products. Sigh.
I've been using various shades of Make Up Forever Mat Velvet + foundation,

MAKE UP FOR EVER - Mat Velvet + Matifying Foundation
but I found that before the expiration date comes, the foundation oxidizes, and turns pink. Since I have fair skin with golden undertones, the pink looked ridiculous, so it was time for a change.

Felicia, a wonderful employee at my local Sephora (although she's leaving for Rhode Island soon!), introduced me to the new Make Up Forever Pro Finish powder foundation in 113 Neutral Ivory ($36).

Normally, I don't like using powder foundation, but I love this foundation. I can't rave about it enough. It goes on very smoothly and has a good coverage. I get bad breakout when I'm stressed, and as I'm a college student going in to midterms, I'm definitely stressed, and it covers the spots very well. For best results, I apply it with the Sephora brand Perfectionist Makeup Sponge (A molded Beauty Blender dupe, $12).
SEPHORA COLLECTION - The Perfectionist Makeup Sponge
It can be used wet or dry, although I prefer dry, since the wet application is a little sheer for me.



Since I have oily skin, a good primer is essential for me. Something I hadn't realized is that oily skin also tends to be dry skin- your face produces more oil to make up for it. Because of this, Felicia found a really nice hydrating primer, Smashbox Photo Finish in Hydrating ($42)
It has a really good feeling to it. It's very sheer, and smooth. It soaks in nicely, instead of sitting on top if the skin, and it smooths out the skin to leave it ready for the makeup, which is especially important with a powder foundation.

She also recommended another primer for the under-eye area (which was her very gentle way of saying "Those dark circles under your eyes are horrific," which they are), Smashbox Photo Finish Hydrating Under Eye Primer ($29).
The information on their website says that it reduces under eye circles, puffiness, bags, and fine lines. I'm not sure how much I believe them. It does hide the circles to an extent, since it refracts the light, but I'm not sure I'll be buying this product again, especially since it's almost thirty dollars.

Since my foundation changed, I needed a new concealer, too. Felicia found the Cover Fx Cream Concealer in N Light ($27). (I ended up exchanging it for the G Light, as the N was too orange-y for me.)
I'm having a learning curve with this stuff. It is so concentrated that I only need a tiny bit, and I still find that I tend to put on too much, causing it to show through my foundation. It does totally wipe out my under eye circles and spots though! For now, the jury's still out.

Since I was going for a 1940s glam look, Felicia set me up with some neutral eye shadow. She actually used three, but I had some similar to the other two. I ended up purchasing Urban Decay eye shadow in Secret Service, a lovely matte brown ($18).
I love this color. It's so beautiful, and very natural. It blends well, and as an added bonus, it is exactly the right color to fill in my eyebrows.  I'll definitely be purchasing this again.

We chose a red lip color, Nars Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella ($25).
This is one of the best lip colors I've ever used. It 's highly pigmented, glides on, and lasts a very long time. I have very dry lips, and it moisturizes really well. I appreciate that once it's on, I don't notice it anymore. The color is opaque, but it doesn't dry harshly. I'm very pleased with it.

In the picture at the top of the page, there's also a cream eyeliner, and two brushes. The cream liner is Sephora Collection Waterproof Smoky Cream Liner in Must Have, a matte black ($12). I like it, but it's pretty generic. My only complaint is something I should have expected- because my eyelids are a little oily, if I don't put a powder over it, I get a mirrored image of my eyeliner in the crease of my eye. The brushes are both Sephora brand, a fluffy eye shadow brush, and an angled flat liner.

For a finishing touch, I got a setting spray (since, like I mentioned, I have oily skin, it's a must). I settled on Urban Decay's De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray ($29).
Urban Decay - De-Slick Oil-Control Makeup Setting Spray
I didn't think it helped that much, until I went without it. With the spray my makeup lasts all day, but without it it only lasts about 4-6 hours. It's definitely worth the price.

Since I spent a ridiculous amount of money on this stuff, and I'm a student, I have grounded myself from going in there until... I'm not sure. But not for a while.

Always,

Nani

4 comments:

Charlotte on February 11, 2013 at 12:00 PM said...

I love red lip products, these items seem great!

-Charlotte
http://incharlottesshoes.blogspot.co.uk/

Unknown on February 11, 2013 at 8:15 PM said...

They are! Thanks for your interest in my blog, Charlotte! I've checked out yours, and subscribed.

-Nani

Anonymous said...

I love hauls! so if I may say so this is my favorite post by far. Really enjoyed reading about those products, wish we had a Sephora over here :(

Anonymous said...

Hey! Nice products, I'd love to try some of these brands, Nars and UD especially, but we don't have them here. >.< Anyway, what shade are you in Mat Velvet +? I really want to get it but 15 might be too light (if there is anything too light for me) & pink (I'm neutral to yellow) and 30 is going to be too dark until summer I guess. I am 113 in PF too, and NC15 in MAC. Help!

Post a Comment

 

Lovely Ladybug Beauty Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos