Saturday, April 27, 2013

Big NARS Haul + Review!

Posted by Unknown at 12:16 AM
Hello Friends!

A few weeks ago Sephora had their big Very Important Beauty Insider (the upper level rewards program) event, and they sent me a coupon, so I went in in search of one thing- concealer... But that day they had a consultant from NARS there, and she gave me a makeover.. I came out with five. But they were on sale, and one was free... so that helps... I guess. -_- I have the self control of a two year old!


I have been having a HECK of a time with my skin lately. I think it's the cause of the "foundation quest" I've been on. It's super oily, and I've been having a problem with my makeup sliding, so the NARS consultant, Kellie, suggested I try out their primer.  This is the NARS Oil-Free Pro-Prime Pore Refining Primer ($34 - NOTE: I can't find my receipt, but I can tell you I did not pay full price for these products! I think I had about 20% off... I wish I could remember!)

When I tried it in-store, I was pretty pleased with it, but I'm not sold on it anymore. I think that it would work better for someone with a fairly normal skin type. It's a great primer- it smooths over pores and some fine lines, and evens out the skin, but I find that it doesn't hold very long. It really helps with application, but I'm not sure that it does anything (for my skin type) in the long run. 
Verdict: I'll finish it, but I don't think I'll buy it again.


This next product will probably come as no surprise to those of you who read my blog regularly... I got a new foundation, guys!


This is the NARS Sheer Glow Foundation ($44 full price) in Light 02 "Mont Blanc," a color they describe as "fair with slight pink undertones." Now there's three words in there that would normal make me steer far, far, away from this product- sheer, glow, and pink. With my acne-prone oily skin, I tend towards things that say "matte" and "full-coverage," and my skin is generally considered neutral... But Kellie convinced me otherwise, and as far as I can tell, she was right.

This color isn't too pink at all- I would have called it a neutral. (For those of you who watch Zoella, this is her go-to foundation shade that she wears in most of her videos.) Also, I wouldn't call it a sheer or light-coverage... I'd call it a build-able medium. Unless I have a very red blemish, I don't wear any spot concealer with it. Kellie suggested applying it with fingers so that it would emulsify well, and that definitely works well, but it also works well with a buffing-type brush, for those of you that, like me, don't like to use your fingers.  It's not a long wear foundation, but it does last well. The only time that I have had any problems with it is when I don't seal it.

My favorite thing about this foundation is actually the thing that scared me the most: "Glow." As most oily-skinned people do, I shy away from anything labeled "glow," but this really doesn't make me look shiny- it just makes your skin look like SKIN. Matte foundations often make the skin almost look dull or ashy, and this makes it looks so healthy without adding any shine.

I only have one complaint about this product, and it's not a fatal flaw. In the store, they all have little pumps on them, and with that giant cap, one would expect them to to come with one, but they don't. they come like this:


Unfortunately, Sephora doesn't carry the pump tops, and it's $6 (plus $5 shipping) to buy one from NARS. It's not a huge deal, but it's a little strange.
Verdict: I would definitely recommend this, and I am almost certain I will be buying this foundation again. (And that's a big deal, coming from me!)



Since I've been making forays into the world of contouring, we picked out this Radiant Creamy Concealer ($28 full price) in 01 Chantilly as a highlighting concealer. This is a "true ivory" color, and, I kid you not, it looks like corpse flesh in the tube. I was so skeptical about it! It works well as an under-eye concealer/brightener, though, and I really like it. HOWEVER. Beware- if you use too much under your eyes, you will spend the whole day having people comment on your "sunglasses tan." (Yeah... That happened. It's a learning curve.) A little goes a long way!
Verdict: Yes, I will purchase it again, but with the speed I'm using it, It's more likely to be because it has expired than run out!



The last item I bought was their Light Reflecting Setting Powder ($34 full price). It's a microfinish powder in a compact- something I've been looking for. It looks very shimmery in the palette (it doesn't show in the picture), but it doesn't wear like a shimmer powder, it just adds a dimension to the foundation. It came with a cute little padded pouch with pockets for the the palette and the velvet "puff" (the little rectangle over the mirror), but it makes it very bulky, and I prefer to apply powder with a brush, so the little bag just hangs out in my makeup drawer.

Verdict: I like this stuff- it's not a holy grail product, but I'll probably buy it again.

Since I purchased NARS products during their special promotion, Kellie gave me a free Velvet Gloss Lip Pencil ($25) in New Lover. It's a "gold infused strawberry" color, so it's basically the lip equivalent of their Orgasm blush, and it's great!

Verdict: I love their lip pencils (I'm wearing Cruella in my profile pic), so this is definitely a yes.



Bonus product:

I bought the Blush/Bronzer Duo in Orgasm/Laguna ($41) a while back, and I never reviewed it. I use this palette ever day. This picture really doesn't do it justice, but those two colors are the best blush and bronzer I've ever worn. Laguna is a matte, so it's great for contouring, and the gold in the blush... I love this stuff.

Verdict: Do I even have to say?


Alright guys, sorry for the delay in getting this post up! I'd love to hear what your favorite NARS products are, or if you have used any of these before, and if they worked for you!

Always,

Nani xx

3 comments:

TextBookBeauty on April 28, 2013 at 3:56 PM said...

Great post hun x!

HannaH on May 3, 2013 at 6:26 PM said...

Love some of the nars products :). Good job on the review :)

If your skin is oily, try Lancome Teint Idole Ultra 24H :).


http://bellagirlsbeauty.blogspot.ca

Unknown on May 23, 2013 at 4:23 AM said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE NARS. If someone would ask me what my fave makeup brand is, it's Nars. :) It's pricey but really good quality.

Following you now :) Hope you check out my blog.

http://isabellezza.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

 

Lovely Ladybug Beauty Copyright © 2012 Design by Antonia Sundrani Vinte e poucos